Wednesday, September 4, 2013

NFL Predictions 2013-2014 Edition

Remember when I had a sports blog and I used to write in it? That seems like another lifetime ago, in fact, it seems I haven't posted anything since late April. I attempted to write a few blogs and just never got around to completing them (I'd post them now, but they are so dated there is no point).

But, football is back. If anything is going to break me out of my writer's blog block it's football season. First game is tomorrow night and I couldn't be more excited. Fantasy teams are locked and ready to roll and the never ending drama that the NFL always seems to provide is just around the corner.

So, to get back into the swing of things here I thought I would post my NFL predictions for this season.(Check out my 2012-2013 predictions here). So, without further ado...


AFC EAST


DIVISION WINNER: New England Patriots

WHY: Steve Johnson said this week that no New England Patriots linebacker can stop him - not even Patrick Chung. Which shows how well Johnson know his Patriot defenders - Chung plays for the Eagles. But he has a lot of respect for Chung and they're good buds. Such good buds Stevie just failed to remember which team Chung played for.

Chung may not be able to stop Johnson for the Pats but I'm sure they have plenty of other players who will do their best. The main reason the Pats have the best shot at winning the division is simply their competition. Let's face it, the Jets are a complete mess, Buffalo is in my opinion, a .500 team at best and Miami, while having the best shot at giving the Pats competition, probably won't.

That said I don't expect the Patriots to completely dominate. With the lack of tight ends and no Wes Welker it will be interesting to see how the offense performs. Don't be surprised if they run the ball more. The Pats will win the division, but I say they finish 10-6.

AFC NORTH


DIVISION WINNER: Baltimore Ravens

WHY: The defending Superbowl champs still have a lot of their weapons from last year - sure, there's no more Ray Lewis but he alone did not lead this team to victory last year. I expect Baltimore to be the team to beat in this division.

That said, I don't think it's going to be an easy battle. I think both the Bengals and the Steelers will make the division race competitive, but I have a hard time picking either team over the Ravens. Cincy as of late can be so hot and cold - I love the dynamic between Andy Dalton and A.J. Green, I just haven't seen enough for me to say Cincy can beat Baltimore. Cincy and Pittsburgh will likely be in the playoff hunt as possible wild cards, so even if they don't win the division they might still have a shot.

As for Cleveland, well...Trent Richardson is great but he alone can't carry the team. Still a lot of work to do there.

AFC SOUTH


DIVISION WINNER: Indianapolis Colts

WHY: I know what you're thinking. Are you daft? Indy over Houston? Just hear me out, okay?

No one expected Indianapolis to even come close to making the playoffs last year and not only did they do that, they gave the Texans some competition at winning the division throughout the season. They did this with Andrew Luck as a rookie leading a team that was in a complete rebuilding year. Indy drafted well, they've made some changes and they have Andrew Luck.

The thing about Houston is, a lot of the players are getting older. Arian Foster is great when he's healthy but that's been a challenge. This team was favored by many to go to the Superbowl last year and nearly got knocked out in the wild card round by Cincinnati, then got creamed by a New England Patriots team that was in all honestly, not the Pats that we've known in recent years. I don't think any offense wants to play against JJ Watt and the Houston defense but I think Houston's biggest struggle will be being able to keep up offensively.

Both Indy and Houston have a shot at the division title and/or a wild card spot. Would not be surprised to see both of these teams in the playoffs come January.

As for Tennessee and Jacksonsville...do I really need to say anything here? Come on, man!

AFC WEST


DIVISION WINNER: Denver Broncos

WHY: Denver is going to be a better team this year than last year, and fortunately for them they play in a division full of sub to .500 level teams. I don't even think it's a contest. Raiders? Chargers? KC? Are you kidding me?


In fact, the Broncos are my AFC Championship pick.This is the year for Peyton, I think. He's going to be hungry from that loss to Baltimore last year. And he desperately wants another ring. I expect Denver to be a very tough team to beat this year.

NFC EAST


DIVISION WINNER: NY Giants

WHY: Because the Giants seem to always find a way, and this division could really go any way because all of these teams are about 8-8, 9-7 caliber teams. I can't pick the Cowboys though because they haven't impressed me, the Redskins have a better shot if RGIII can stay upright and healty, but those are big questions for the season, and the Eagles in a similar venue, have to figure out a way to keep Vick from getting injured because Foles is not going to make it happen. Will be interesting to see what Chip Kelly does with this team.

Ultimately someone is going to win this division, the Giants historically seem to have found a way to make it happen, so I'll go with the Giants. I do think however, the only way any of these teams has a shot at the playoffs is if they win their division. 9-7 may not be good enough for a wild card slot with the talent across the NFC this year.

NFC NORTH


DIVISION WINNER: Green Bay Packers

WHY: Green Bay is not the winner here by a landslide, but I think they ink this one out. I want to like Detroit with all of the talent they have on that team but boy were they a disappointment last year. The Bears I also want to like and then they fall apart like last year. The Vikings are still young and rebuilding so honestly, I think the division is Green Bay's to lose, but it's not going to be easy. Green Bay is not the same team that won the Superbowl and they are beatable.

I do the Bears or Lions could have a shot at a wild card spot, but as I said before, the wild card spots are going to be a tough race in the NFC.

NFC SOUTH


DIVISION WINNER: Atlanta Falcons

WHY: Tony Gonzalez REALLY wants that Superbowl ring. I like the addition of Steven Jackson to the team. They still have essentially the same team as last year. They will be good.

Don't discount New Orleans though. Thy had an off year last year due to the sanctions from bounty gate but they won't have that this year. I expect with the return of Sean Payton you will see a different team out there. That said, it could take the Saints a bit to get their groove going after the mess of last season. The Falcons won't have those same hurdles. I think it will be close, but I like Atlanta's odds here.

As for Carolina and Tampa Bay, other than expecting to hear Cam Newton whine again I don't have a whole lot to stay about these teams. I tend to underestimate Tampa though - they could be a dark horse here. I still think Atlanta takes the division though.

NFC WEST


DIVISION WINNER: San Francisco 49'ers

WHY: Toughest division in the NFL is right here - the NFC West. 3 of the most difficult defenses lie right here among the 49'ers, the Seahawks and the Rams.

I hate picking San Francisco but how can you not? They are a good team that almost won the Superbowl last year. They drafted well and have all of their weapons back - they will be tough.

They will also have some brutal competition. The Seahawks and yes, the Rams are both going to be good teams this year. Teams that can win the division? Odds are not likely. Teams that can make the wild card? Absolutely. Seattle has a tremendous defense and Russell Wilson seemed to be the right choice last year in getting something started with their offense.

The Rams, u der Jeff Fisher have become a force to recognize as well. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a fan. The defense is good. They have been working at building a better O line and drafted the talented Tavon Austin who is expected to have a great rookie season. The big question? Sam Bradford. He has the weapons now so we'll see how he does.

Arizona...is still trying to figure out what to do since Kurt Warner left. Sucks to be Larry Fitzgerald. No chance this season.

WILD CARD TEAMS

AFC: Cincinnati and Houston
NFC: Seattle and St. Louis

SUPERBOWL

Denver Broncos vs San Francisco. Denver wins. It's Peyton's year.

So, there are my picks for the 2013-2014 season. We'll see how I did come January!

Now, let's get this season started, shall we?

1 comment:

  1. About time you came back. Beginning to wonder if California had devoured you.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete