Saturday, January 5, 2013

Playoffs?

Happy New Year sports fans! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and enjoyed the plethora of football we've had lately with the end of the NFL season and the start of College Bowl Game mania.

So, the NFL season is over, and sadly, my Rams did not make it to the playoffs this year. However, considering they only won 2 games last season the 7-8-1 finish isn't all bad. I saw a lot of good things from this Rams team and coach Jeff Fisher this past season and I expect that the Rams, along with the rest of the NFC West, are going to become tough teams to beat. I do like that the Rams only lost 1 game to a division rival - the last game against Seattle. Rams fought hard for this game but in the end, it's just super tough to win on the road in Seattle. Looking forward to an even better season - playoff contender type - next year for the Rams.

Wild Card weekend starts tomorrow (well, today technically) but we were treated to an NFL season where week 17 mattered - at least to Cowboys and Redskins fans.

Raise your hand if you knew that the Washington Redskins had a fight song? And a marching band? (If you're a Redskins fan, it doesn't count).

Until last Sunday, I did not know this. I was watching Sunday Night Football, as I do every week, and all of a sudden the game ended and I start hearing a marching band and fight song - I thought for a moment my cable decided to change the station on me and I was watching a college bowl game. Nope, they really have a fight song. Proof is here:



So the Redskins filled in that last playoff spot, much to the Cowboys dismay. I have to admit, the Cowboys are a bit of an enigma to me. Tony Romo is not a bad quarterback, at least when you look at QB ratings he isn't. But in the playoffs or in clutch positions? He's Tony Romo "Oh No!" Not that Romo is the reason why the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs. Cowboys have lost of issues. I'm a bit surprised that Jason Garrett survived "Black Monday" but there is still time. We'll see what Jerry Jones has in mind for the 2013-2014 season son. 

Speaking of "Black Monday," wow a LOT of fired coaches this week, and one of them already has a new job! That's just how they roll in the NFL. Most of these were not big surprises: Norv Turner, Andy Reid, Chan Gailey, Romeo Crennel and Pat Shurmer were all rumored/predicted to lose their head coaching jobs. The only one in this group who was thought to possibly have a chance at keeping his job was Reid, but apparently the Eagles decided it was time to clean house and start anew.

Two coaches that I didn't necessarily expect to get fired were Ken Whisenhunt and Lovie Smith. Whisenhunt I see a bit more as Arizona has pretty much been an abysmal team since Kurt Warner retired, and a big part of that is due to the fact that the Cardinals haven't found a replacement QB. Lovie Smith was a bit of a surprise to me. I get it, the Bears at the beginning of the season looked like they might upset the Green Bay Packers as NFC North division winners. But the Bears took a turn mid-season, and part of that was due to injuries, but some of it could have been due to something else. The team deflated and allowed themselves to lose their chance at the playoffs, which I guess was too much for the Bears organization to stomach. I'm sure Lovie will find a new coaching job - if not a head coach job, he's a hell of a defensive guy (want to come back to the Rams Lovie? We're not sure the guy we hired will ever be allowed to coach in the NFL again).

A coach who didn't get fired but thought he should have? Rex Ryan. Seriously, the Jets were just a horrible trainwreck this season all around. Why not clean house? They fire the GM but not Ryan? Um, okay. Regardless of who's decision it was to bring Tebow to NY Ryan's management of this Jets team has been awful. Maybe the Jets saw they had too many holes to fill and thought they should keep Ryan another year - who knows? All I know is, the Jets circus needs to come to a halt.

The first of the 7 fired head coaches to land a new job was announced Friday morning. Fired Monday, new job on Friday. Nice. Wish all layoff situations were as easy as that but I'm guessing most Americans who go through this process don't find a new job that fast.

Andy Reid has accepted a head coaching position with the Kansas City Chiefs. Wait, what? Hold the phone...need to clear out my ears, must have heard you wrong...I didn't?

Yes, it's true. Reid is going to Kansas City.


Nothing against Kansas City. It's just that many saw Reid fitting in better at San Diego, or Arizona. But perhaps Reid wanted the chance to have more control over the team, and in KC he does have that. They have a top draft pick, and they have Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe - both top talent in their positions. But Matt Cassell is his QB. We'll see how things shape up in the off-season.

Anyway, so Wild Card weekend is about to begin, so before the games start wanted to get in my thoughts on each of the matchups.

Cincinnati Bengals vs Houston Texans

The Houston Texans have shown weaknesses throughout the season, and those weaknesses cost them a first round bye in the playoffs, so now they face Cincinnati. I think this is going to be a tough game. The Bengals are a good team, better than their record shows. I like a lot about the Texans - JJ Watt is a beast. But I just have a feeling that the Texans have lost their momentum. And if the Bengals can rack up some points early, Houston has shown they aren't so great at coming back from behind. So I'm going to take the Bengals in this game.

Minnesota Vikings vs Green Bay Packers

Adrian Peterson is amazing, and will likely win MVP and/or Comeback Player of the Year. But AP alone can't lead the Vikings down the road to the Superbowl, and I think that road stops here at Lambeau Field. AP will have almost 200 yards, but Green Bay wins this game. Green Bay will have all of their major playmakers healthy for this game, homefield advantage and a desperate drive to beat them after losing to them last week. Green Bay wins.

Seattle Seahawks vs Washington Redskins

This one is a tough one for me to pick, because as a Rams fan, I don't really want to pick another NFC West team, and the Redskins have been so up and down all season it's hard to predict what will happen with this team. You have two rookie quarterbacks, both who have had amazing seasons. But I think Seattle has something that the Redskins don't: a really tough defense and homefield advantage. It is extremely difficult to win a game in Seattle. Ask the Rams, 49ers or Cardinals who have to play there every year - not an easy stadium to play a game in. While it pains me to pick them, I just think that Seattle will end up the victor here.

Indianapolis Colts vs Baltimore Ravens

This game is going to be full of emotion. You have the Indianapolis Colts, rallying around their coach, Chuck Pagano, who is back coaching after chemotherapy treatment, and you have the Baltimore Ravens, who know that Ray Lewis is retiring, and this weekend's game could be his last. On top of that, you have the Colts who used to be the Baltimore Colts competing against the new Baltimore team. I can't think of any game this weekend that has more emotion or drama than this one. My heart, because I do love the Colts organization, wants to say the Colts win this game. They have had such an amazing season coming back from winning only 2 games last year to making it to the playoffs - thank you, Andrew Luck. However, I think the Ray Lewis factor will hinder the Colts chances. Lewis will be amped, the team will be amped, the stadium will be amped and though Andrew Luck is an amazing offensive talent, I don't think the Colts offense can compete with the Ravens defense. While the Colts still have defensive greats Freeney and Matthis, their secondary has been horrendous and I think Flacco and co will exploit that. Baltimore wins this game.

So that's my wild card weekend predictions. At the beginning of the season I predicted a 49ers-Baltimore Superbowl. We'll see if that sticks. I feel confident on the 49ers pick, but not so sure about Baltimore. I think the Broncos or Pats have a better shot. But we'll see.

That's all I have for now. Enjoy watching the games this weekend, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment