Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I Have a Sports Blog?

Once upon a time, I had a sports blog. While posts were sporadic with higher frequency during NFL season, I tended to at least post something once every month and a half.

Sports fans, this blog as of late has been an epic fail. I'm Brad Lidge against Albert Pujols in the 2005 NLCS.

It never gets old.

Apparently this blog did have some fans, so I am going to do my best to attempt to resurrect this blog. I'm not going to make any promises. I don't know how often or when I will post. But I will post, when I feel like I have something to say. 

So, a lot has happened since I last posted in...October. Really? Okay, let's just review the big things that happened, shall we?

1. 2013 World Series

There was good, there was bad, and there was really bad. But the best thing about the 2013 World Series was this: I got to go to my first World Series game with my dad. 


It was a great experience to be at the game. Matt Holliday hit a home run that was just short of being a nice souvenir and there just is simply nothing like being at Busch Stadium during the playoffs and World Series. There is an electricity that one cannot describe. It was certainly a nice welcome home party after being booed at during the NLCS games at Dodger Stadium. 

Unfortunately, the Cardinals lost not only the game we went to, but the series as well. Duck Dynasty, I mean, Boston, won. I'm not bitter. Really, I'm not. I love the Cardinals, but you can't win games if you don't hit and score runs. Boston did that. David Ortiz at one point was hitting over .800 or something crazy like that. He's roid free, right?

But in all seriousness, congrats to the Boston Red Sox on their 2013 World Series win. On to 2014 where the Cards will vie for #12in14!

2. College Bowl Games
This was an exciting college football season for me as Mizzou looked like they may actually have a chance at the National Championship game for a bit there. But, Auburn stuck the fork in that dream after winning the SEC Championship game. 

To be honest, I can't remember a whole lot about this past college football season since it's been so long, but here's a summary of my top thoughts:
  1. Auburn beating Alabama on that missed field goal attempt was crazy, insane and so fun to watch.
  2. Mizzou losing the SEC Championship to Auburn sucked (for this fan anyway).
  3. Auburn nearly beating Florida State in the National Championship game was exciting to watch.
  4. Mizzou performed well in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma State and have high hopes for them next season.
  5. Michigan State won the Rose Bowl. I don't really care about this, except I have family members who are huge State fans so this was a very big deal.

That's all I have to say about that. #ForrestGump


3. Superbowl XLVIII
At the beginning of the 2013-14 season, I had predicted the Superbowl would be Denver vs. San Francisco, with Denver winning. It was Peyton's year, I thought. Who knows how much longer he'll be playing. This seemed to be the year that everything would fall into place.

And leading up to the Superbowl, it appeared to be just that. But what Peyton and Denver has yet to face was, a truly heinous and vicious defense. San Francisco wasn't their fate, it was the Seattle Seahawks. And this guy:
Take that Michael Crabtree!

Sherman's interview with Erin Andrews after the NFC Championship wasn't the classiest interview, but then again, when was the NFL the epitome of class? 

Peyton Manning and the Broncos would have their work cut out for them. Peyton was coming from an amazing record breaking touchdown season. Seattle's defense was top of the list. Both teams had the best regular season records in the AFC and NFC. It was going to be fun. It was going to be epic. Peyton was going to win another ring, or Seattle was going to win their first.

How does one describe Superbowl XLVIII best? I think this here says it all:


Painful comes to mind for this Superbowl - unless you're a Seahawks fan. Then you probably quite enjoyed the 48-8 complete annihilation of the Denver Broncos. Manning didn't play his best, but the team overall looked spooked and discombobulated. When the first play of the game is a fumbled snap that's a bad omen. And the Broncos never recovered. It was a slow, agonizing, downhill battle from there.

The best part of this entire Superbowl? This guy right here:

So the Seattle Seahawks win their first Superbowl, and Peyton will attempt to vie for that second ring again in 2014. But it'll be a tough battle.

4. March Madness

1. I didn't win the billion dollar bracket (nor did anyone else).
2. Witchita State was overrated (but great season, y'all!)
3. Kentucky should NOT have been an 8 seed, and Connecticut should not have been a 7 seed. #weak
4. As is typical, some lower seeded teams beat higher seeded, such as Mercer over Duke which blew up everyone's bracket. Except for the few who picked Mercer.
5. Kentucky and Connecticut played for the national championship, just like we all thought and Connecticut won. 

Wait a minute...Connecticut won?

That, my friends, brings us up to speed to current times where we are now at the beginning of the NHL and NBA playoffs. Most of you know by now, I don't tend to follow the NBA all that closely. The only reason I know anything about the NBA is because:

1. I live in LA. #LakeShow #ClipShow
2. The national media loves the NBA and my two radio choices in the morning (Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd) LOVE to talk NBA.

I don't really have much thought on this as I didn't watch much of the NBA this season. I'll watch some of the playoff games, and I'll root for the Clippers because well, I don't have an NBA team that I've consistently rooted for and I live in LA. 

NHL playoffs, on the other hand, is a different story. I'm definitely engaged in the hockey playoffs and in more recent years have become much more of a fan. But, my appreciation for hockey and thoughts on the NHL playoffs deserve it's own post, so more to come on this subject shortly.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment