Sunday, April 22, 2012

Blues Win!

There's a lot of good things going on right now if you're a St. Louis sports fan. The Cardinals are continuing their hot streak winning series after series, and the St. Louis Blues just won their first playoff series since 2002. Not only that, since Vancouver was knocked out of the playoffs, the Blues now have home field advantage throughout the playoffs as they are the #2 seed.

The Blues will face the LA Kings next, which is quite convenient for me, since they will air the games on local TV here and though it's a long shot, might be able to snag some tickets to a game, which would be super fun. I actually like the Kings, but the Blues are my team. I really have liked what I've seen from the Blues this season and hope that they go all the way to the championship. It would be so much fun to watch, and fun for Blues fans who have not seen a Blues team this good in a very, very long time.

It's only April, but am definitely liking what I'm seeing from the Cardinals so far, for the most part. It's comforting to see them continuing to win and so so without their top ace pitchers. Carpenter is still out, and Wainwright is struggling to get his control back after recovering from Tommy John surgery. I am sure Wainwright will continue to get better and be the ace we know he is but wow, it's been a rough April for him so far.

The Cardinals still have a star in Carpenter though, Matt Carpenter that is. Lance Berkman has been fighting injury so Matt Carpenter was brought in to start at 1st. This kid is exciting. He is now 2nd in RBI's for the team behind David Freese.

It seems to me that this Cardinals team is just solid. There is something about this team, I can't figure it out. But it feels really good. Am looking forward to see how the season goes. #12 in 12!

The Cardinals aren't the only team that's hot though. The Rangers have been super good so far and so have the Dodgers. Now that the Dodgers have all of the Frank McCourt drama behind them perhaps they can turn this season into something really exciting. The Yankees are also doing pretty well, but they're kind of expected to, right?

How about the Angels? Well...it's been a slow start for them. Albert Pujols has yet to hit a home run and after today he is hitting just under .250. Ouch. Karma's a bitch, right? I kid, I kid. Pujols had a rough start last year at this time with the Cardinals and he picked it up and became the guy we all know and love. He'll get there. Once he gets into his stride there will be no turning back.

The NBA season is almost over and it got ugly today between the Lakers and the Thunder. Not only was the game tough going into OT with the Lakers finally winning, but Metta World Peace smacked Thunder player James Harden with his elbow after celebrating making a basket. It's hard to tell from the footage if it was intentional or not but one has to wonder how could he NOT know that Harden was standing right there?

Check out the video below for yourself and decide for yourself. Looks suspicious to me.


This wouldn't be anything new for Mr. World Peace, aka formerly known as Ron Artest. Artest made quite a big name for himself during the infamous brawl between the Pacers and the Pistons. I still remember walking around Indianapolis at that time and seeing someone wearing a "Free Artest" shirt (as he was hit with quite a hefty suspension after that debacle).

Thought he had learned from that and changed a lot (and I do think he has). But his actions tonight definitely stirred up some memories. I would guess that Metta will likely be suspended through the first playoff series, but we'll see.

If you haven't seen the epic Pacers-Pistons brawl, you have to check it out. Not the best quality, but you get the idea.




Finally, the NFL Draft is this week. It feels like we've been talking about the draft for years and now it's finally almost here and we can be done talking about it. Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL. But the draft has never really excited me all that much, at least all of the speculation beforehand. And you really have no clue how these guys are going to pan out. Andrew Luck could be the next Peyton Manning, or the next Ryan Leaf. I doubt he will be a Leaf but the fact is, we don't really know how most of these guys are going to be until they have the chance to play an NFL game.

We all know that college football is so different from the NFL. You can be awesome and top notch in college but utterly fail at the NFL. We've seen this over and over throughout the years. So, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm interested in the draft as I want to know who my teams pick, but beyond that, I just can't get into the whole speculation talk.

But, I can say this with certainly. The Colts are going to pick Andrew Luck. The Redskins are going to pick RGIII. The rest we will all know by the end of next week. And then we will wait until September to see how everyone's choices pan out for their teams.

I think that is all I have for this week. We're entering that period of time where both the NHL and NBA playoffs are going on, which won't end for another 10 years. Or at least it feels like it. It took almost the whole month of April just to get through round 1 of the NHL playoffs. Even the MLB manages to get through their playoffs and the World Series in about a month give or take a week or two. The NHL and NBA finals won't happen until June. Longest. Playoffs. Ever.

All right, that's it for me sports fans! More updates in the exciting world of sports coming your way soon,

No comments:

Post a Comment