Monday, January 2, 2012

Black Monday, NFL Final Regular Season Thoughts

First off, Happy New Year 2012! If you were like me, you probably spent most of New Year's Day enjoying the last regular season games of the NFL. While we still have the playoffs to look forward to, I always get sad at the end of the NFL season. At least now I can close the door on the horrible seasons of my Rams and Colts and hope that next season will be better for both. Both teams had some major "Black Monday" firings today.

The Rams announced that HC Steve Spagnuolo and GM Billy Devaney have been let go. This was not a surprise, most of us expected this to happen. I really like Spagnuolo as a person, but I think he is much better off in a coordinator position than head coach. Rams are reportedly looking to hire former Titans HC Jeff Fisher, but so is Miami. Plus Tampa fired HC Raheem Morris so who knows if they'll throw their hat in the ring. The thing that I like about Fisher is that he has a history of being successful as a head coach. It seems to me that the Rams could use a coach that has some sort of history and is proven. Sam Bradford can be the quarterback the Rams hope he will be, but there needs to be some strong coaching and better draft and trade moves to build this team to the success it can be. Will be interesting to see what the Rams choose to do with their #2 pick.

In other "Black Monday" news Jim Irsay fired the Polians today, which came as somewhat of a shock though many sports analysts in Indy have been behind this for some time such as Bob Kravitz. No word on the status of HC Caldwell yet, but I can't imagine that Irsay would can the Polians and keep Caldwell. It sounds like Irsay's looking to clean house.

Irsay also said that he can't say for certain that Peyton will be back. "I've always said that, first and foremost, it's a medical situation, a health situation," Irsay said during a news conference Monday. "Is it safe for him to go on the field? Is it something that he's healthy enough to resume his career? "That to me has always been the most important decision. That's something we're continuing to see where we're at." I would love to see Peyton play again, but his health has to be first and foremost. I hope he's healthy and we're able to see another 3-4 years out of him, win another Super Bowl, etc. But he has to decide whether it's worth the risk. 3 neck surgeries in one year is a huge deal. One bad hit and Peyton could permanently injure himself seriously, including potential paralysis. He's going to have to take it slow and The Colts organization will have some big decisions to make come draft time this spring. Do they take Luck? Unless they have absolute certainty that Peyton is a go, I don't see how they don't draft him. Not sure if the Colts can keep both Luck and Manning. If Manning can play, he'll want to play. That may not be for the Colts if they choose Luck.

The last week of the regular season finally gave us the pieces to finalize the playoff puzzle. The Broncos lost to KC, but still won their division title at 8-8 due to San Diego beating Oakland. I thought the NFC Worst I mean West was bad but wow, the AFC West was crazy! 3 teams finished 8-8 and one at 7-9. The Broncos will face the Steelers this weekend in the Wild Card matchup, which should be interesting. The 49'ers secured a first round bye with their win against the Rams, though the Saints tried with their trouncing of Carolina. Though they tied with San Fran at 13-3, San Fran had the better conference record. Aaron Rodgers didn't start for Green Bay, but it didn't matter in the track meet against the Detroit Lions. Get used to hearing the name Matt Flynn folks, because he is a free agent at the end of the season. I don't know if both offenses were just THAT good in this game or if the defeneses were THAT bad. Green Bay won 45-41, Stafford threw for 520 yards and 5 TD's, Flynn threw for 480 yards and 6 TD's. That's 1,000 passing yards between the 2 QB's. Wow. So is Rodgers really that good or is Green Bay's offensive line that good? I guess we'll find out how great Matt Flynn is without it as there's no way he's still in Green Bay next year after that. He'll be a starter somewhere.

Sunday Night Football featured the Cowboys and the Giants, fighting for the NFC East title. If Brees and Rodgers weren't already so high on the MVP list I'd say Manning should be in contention. Or maybe Victor Cruz. Manning-Cruz have pretty much lifted the Giants to the postseason, and Manning now had the most 4th quarter touchdown passes in history. When I think about the talent on the Packers, the Saints and the Giants...I'd say Manning is pulling his team with far less talent than the other 2. Matt Flynn certainly showed that the Packers can win without Rodgers. Not sure the Saints win without Brees but the Giants definitely don't without Manning.

I just don't understand the Cowboys. They have talent, they just can't seem to get to the playoffs as of late. I know many want to blame Romo, but I don't know that Romo alone is the problem. Romo has the 4th highest quarterback rating this season. The 3 ahead of him? Rodgers, Brees and Brady. Not bad company to be in. So what is it about the Cowboys? I don't know the answer but Jerry Jones will have to figure out something because Dallas fans are most certainly not happy.

This weekend's wild card matchups are: Cincinnati vs Houston, Pittsburgh vs Denver, Atlanta vs New York, and Detroit vs New Orleans. All should be good games, though Houston will be playing Yates at QB but they still have Foster. The Steelers still have a banged up Big Ben and Mendenhall is out for the season due to injury. Denver could have a shot at beating the Steelers if Ben can't get the offense rolling.

However, my picks for this weekend are: Cincinnati over Houston (Foster will be big, but I like Dalton and Green more), Denver over Pittsburgh (I think it will be close, but I think the lack of offense on both sides will hurt and Tebow will pull off his last amazing win of the season), Giants over the Falcons (I wouldn't bet against that Giants team right now, they are on fire), and the Saints over Detroit. It will be a track meet, but the Saints are explosive at home and I think they will be able to pull off this win.

Oh, and while I'm at it. I'll go ahead and make my prediction for the Super Bowl: Baltimore vs Giants. You heard me. I'm not discounting the Saints/Green Bay but never underestimate the power of a team that basically played a playoff game just to get there. They will be a tough team to beat.

I've rambled on enough. More updates in the world of sports soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment